EAR MITES (Otodectes Cynotis)
- Inhabits external ear canal, but may extend to other parts of the body including head and feet
- Host is usually cat,dog,fox,ferret
- Life cycle of otodectes is 3 weeks
- Adult female produce 15 – 20 eggs and live for 2 – 3 weeks
- Mite feeds superficially on skin debris
- Mite infestations can lead to hypersensitivity reactions, itching, headshaking, ear infections
- Ears may be smelly and have an accumulation of brown-black wax
- The administration of drops specifically formulated for ear mites into the ear or certain spot on medications are the treatment of choice.
Speak to your vet for further advice or guidance.
Below is a picture of ear mites under the microscope.